After months of good intentions, Corey and I finally got around to infusing some vodka. Here's a quick how-to guide. It's too easy not to try!
1. Buy a glass container (preferably with a spout).
We found ours for $20 at Cost Plus. A worth-while investment if you plan on doing this often.2.Choose your flavor.
We wanted to do something easy for our first time. We chose Raspberry & Blackberry. An infusion we like to call Blazberry.
3. Choose your vodka.
The key here is to go with a middle-of-the-road spirit that has been distilled at least three times. This avoids that unpleasant after taste (or shiver). Don't bother buying premium vodka as most of your flavor will come from your ingredients. We went with Smirnoff.
4. Add your ingredients to the jar.
Make sure you wash your ingredients thoroughly first.
Here's a quick guide to how long you should let some more popular choices infuse:
3-4 days: Vanilla beans, citrus fruits, mint, garlic, tarragon, basil, oregano, dill and thyme
1 week: Berries, melons and peaches
Up to 2 weeks: Chili peppers, pineapple, fresh ginger, lemon grass and other delicately flavored ingredients
6. After a couple of days, remove ingredients (before they become bruised or brown). Wash the container and replace the vodka, sans ingredients.
7. Add a new batch of your ingredient for appearance.
8. Enjoy! It's so good you can enjoy it on the rocks with a bit of lime.
This was so easy, and berries are just the beginning. You can infuse your vodka with anything, including Skittles! Think of the possibilities!
Happy infusing :)