Coffee is the most well-known beverage in the world. The United States imports more than 4 billion coffee a year, and Americans consume about 400 million cups of coffee a day. Almost 52% of Americans over 18 drink coffee daily. Coffee accounts for 75% of the total caffeine consumed in the United States.
Although coffee is an intensely studied product. There is still much controversy surrounding its effects on health. Many consider it an illness to drink coffee. Numerous studies show contradictory results and there is always a new study to update the past.
The caffeine is the legal stimulant most widely used in the world. It stimulates you, gives you energy and becomes more alert. To understand how caffeine affects your body, we have to study the science of caffeine. When you take caffeine, it triggers the secretion of stress hormones. Like, when you have to deal with a sudden danger.
The following is the body’s reaction to high stress hormones:
- Pupils dilate to increase visual acuity.
- The bronchi dilate to increase the availability of oxygen.
- The liver releases sugars and fats in the blood to compensate for the effort to survive.
- The muscle fibers are ready for rapid movements.
- Increased heart rate and blood pressure to supply fuel to the muscles.
- The circulation in the digestive system is reduced to make more blood available to the muscles.
- Small blood vessels at the extremities make more blood for the muscles.
- When your body is in constant alertness, the results can be devastating
Effects of caffeine:
Although coffee is associated with numerous health risks, the research also suggests that it presents a number of health benefits provided to drink at least two cups a day. Evidence indicates that coffee provides protective effects for the following diseases:
- Hepatica cirrhosis
- Alzheimer ‘s Disease
- Colon cancer
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Some types of headaches
- Parkinson’s disease
It also has benefits if a teenager wants to have coffee to study. However, if you drink two cups of coffee a day, your body is already addicted to regular caffeine stimulation. It is ultimately a personal choice to weigh the benefits of coffee consumption and its effects on health effects. There are many types of coffee to order like Maxwell House, Folgers Coffee, Nescafe Clasico etc.
Disadvantages of coffee:
- Caffeine can cause strong swings in blood glucose, causing hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Symptoms include weakness, nervousness, sweating, tremors, and heart palpitations.
- Caffeine can increase blood pressure and cholesterol .
- Caffeine can affect the production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach, causing poor digestion. It is associated with increased risk of ulcers, acid reflux, and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Caffeine can cause irritation in the skin .
- Caffeine can have a detrimental effect on the body’s calcium-phosphorus balance, which is associated with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis (porous bones).
Other health problems associated with coffee
- Coffee is usually made from a heavily sprayed crop, so each cup of non-organic coffee exposes it to a dose of toxic pesticides. Worse still, many of these chemicals banned in the United States by their toxicity are ultra-exported to South American countries. Some of these chemicals are known to be used in coffee plantations which, in turn, export their coffee back to the United States
- Depending on your case. You should drink decaffeinated coffee, and in small amounts, there you will feel the benefits of decaffeinated coffee.
- If you drink decaffeinated coffee, be sure to use a non-chemical method.
- If you use a coffee machine, the coffee filters should not be bleached filters. Lighter whites may be bleached with chlorine.